Almost all DVD players today actually allow you to cue just like VCR tapes--
you advance to your chosen scene, stop the player, and it will resume from
that position.  Furthermore, many DVD decks will allow you to do this with
multiple discs.  So you can advance to your chosen scene on 3, 4, or 5
discs, stop at that point, and when you reinsert the discs, they will start
from that point.  As far as I know though, the only thing you can't do is
cue to a scene on one machine and then have another machine recognize that
cue, as you could do with VCR tapes.  I recommend trying to cue a few DVDs
on the deck in your classroom and see if that machine remembers those cues.
If not, I recommend finding a deck that can do this.

Best wishes,

Dr. Timothy Shary
Director of Screen Studies
Assistant Professor of Screen Studies