Dear colleagues:

I haven't  heard the term "merchant navy," but there are plenty of things in that category.  I wonder
whether a frequently-heard equivalent term might be "merchant marine"?

Warner Brothers put out a film about the US "Merchant Marine," appx. 1944, entitled "Action in the North
Atlantic."  With a fictional plot (written by J H Lawson, W R Burnett & A I Bezzerides), it portrayed the
dangerous business of shipping goods across the submarine-infested Atlantic to our ally Russia during
WW2.  Stars were Humphrey Bogart and Raymond Massey, with Alan Hale (as always) and Dane Clark in
support.  I'd assumed the director would have been Ray Enright, but am corrected by  IMDB, which
indicates "N. Atlantic" was begun by Lloyd Bacon &  finished by  Byron Haskin.

Yours,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.