In a message dated 11/4/04 3:14:38 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Does anyone have any information (beyond basic bio) on
> Arthur Edeson? Edeson (ASC) shot All Along the Western
> Front, The Maltese Falcon and many others. I have
> particular interest in the 70mm version of The Big
> Trail he shot for Raoul Walsh in 1930. Any advice,
> citations, etc., would be appreciated. Thanks.

It would strike me that the best place to start with be with ASC since they
should have much on him. ASC's unofficial historian is Robert Birchard who just
wrote the Cecil B. DeMille book for the U of KY Press. Bob has a pretty
remarkable knowledge of Hollywood history. I'm not sure, but I also thought that
Scott Eyman might have covered him in his book on cinematographers (I know Scott
has an interesting footnote on Edeson in his Speed of Sound book. You can
find that page by searching the Amazon books website).

And besides those two, the people who knew a lot of the Hollywood
cinematographers would be Kevin Brownlow and Leonard Maltin.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640