I have found that the special features on Robert Rodriguez DVDs tend to be quite interesting, as he goes to great effort to bring the filmmaking process to the viewer.  I have also found that films that were artistically and especially commercially unsuccessful sometimes have very interesting director commentaries regarding where things went wrong.  On the commentary track for Disturbing Behavior, director David Nutter offers some insight on how far a project can stray from a director's control when the studio gets too involved.

Henry S Breitrose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:After some initial experiences with shallow or just plain silly
commentaries on DVD "Special Editions," I wonder whether anyone has
positive recommendations regarding DVD releases that have additional
materials which in some way illuminate the film, the process of film
making, or the art of cinema. Recommendations, please?

Thanks,

Henry Breitrose
Department of Communication
Stanford