Dear Film discussants,

Here are some important items not mentioned so far in the lists of
Film & Society texts recently posted.

A PERIODICAL:

The journal FILM & HISTORY, proclaimed as near as the web
page for this discussion group.  Just click on the title.

or go to <A HREF="www.filmandhistory.org">www.filmandhistory.org</A>

This journal has been exploring Film and Society for over thirty (30)
years, but seems to be outside the peripheral vision of many film
enthusiasts.  Yet it is the only journal on the subject and IS NOT
a journal of film history.

Over the last four years, Film & History has also created CD-ROMS
with articles, audio materials, and video.  These CD-ROMS are described
on the web site (address, above).

______________________________

TEXTS by Rollins and O'Connor

       John O'Connor has mentored me in this areas and we have developed
a series of books on Film and Society.  Here are the relevant texts in
chronological order:

IMAGE AS ARTIFACT: The Historical  Analysis of Film and TV
       (Malabor, Fl: Robert Krieger Pub Co, 1990).  John E. O'Connor
                Methods of studying media for cultural historians.

HOLLYWOOD AS HISTORIAN  (UP of Kentucky, 2nd ed, 1998)
       Peter C. Rollins, Ed.
       An overview of many major films and film movements in relation to
history or the attempt to influence history

HOLLYWOOD'S INDIAN: The Native American in Film (UP of Kentucky,
       1998). Eds. Rollins and O'Connor

TELEVISION HISTORIES: Shaping Collective Memory in the Media Age.
       (UP of Kentucky, 1998). Eds. Gary Edgerton and Peter Rollins

THE WEST WING: The American Presidency as Television Drama
       (Syracuse UP, 2003).  Eds Rollins and O'Connor

HOLLYWOOD'S WHITE HOUSE:  The American Presidency in
       Film and Television (UP of Kentucy, 2003).  Eds. Rollins and O'Connor.

Forthcoming....

THE COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY PRESS COMPANION TO
       AMERICAN HISTORY ON FILM.  Ed. Peter Rollins, 2003 or
                early 2004.
                This is an enormous resource and will be basic to the field.
                It took six years to finish!!

We have put in a lot of work to create these materials for scholarly use
and for classrooms.  A number of them have received repeated use across
the country--in part because they are well-focused and in part because the
contributing authors did such a terrific job of explaining their concerns
with
a minimum of jargon.

In any case, please order the whole list for  your library and order some
for yourselves.

University Press of Kentucky contact:
                Leila Salisbury at [log in to unmask]

Syracuse UP contact:
                Therese Walsh at  [log in to unmask]

Columbia UP contact:
                 Plaegian  Alexander at [log in to unmask]

Happy trails!

Pedro de Tulsa

Peter C. Rollins
Editor-in-Chief
_Film & History: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Film and TV Studies_
(Web site: www.filmandhistory.org)
RR 3 Box 80
Cleveland, OK 74020
(918)243-7637 and fax 5995

Comments: Individual subscription information on the web site
as well as information and FAQ's about the CD-ROMs. There are
also discussion items and essays on Saving Private Ryan, Amistad,
CNN's Cold War, and a host of other topics. The Table of Contents
for the last thirty years is there as well. The last two issues deal with
The Holocaust in Film and the next two issues (2003) will focus on
the Western in a follow through from our Kansas City conference during
November of 2002.

Next conference is scheduled for 11-14 November 2004--yes, 2004--
and will focus on "War in Film, TV, and History," in Dallas
Texas. We are looking for energetic people to serve as Area Chairs
and will put a list of existing and available Area Chair topics on
the web site in the near future.

www.filmandhistory.org

Past issues of Film & History have been devoted to World War II, The Gulf
War,
and many individual articles over the years have surveyed the propaganda,
feature, and television dramas about War.  It is a popular and pervasive
genre--second only to The Western, the topic of our last conference.