>noir.  I am trying to find any notes or journals kept by directors (or
>technicians, etc.) who worked on films noirs.  There is a load of
>secondary sources, but the primary material is not as plentiful.

Check with the Motion Picture Academy.  They have quite a bit of material
and probably can direct you towards more.  I know that Turner has been
doing extensive oral histories but these are not publicly available; not
sure if there's much noir material there anyway.  For even more digging you
might also try contacting journalists and researchers who have interviewed
such sources.