For those of you interested in my anti-war art film query, here are some
results.  This is not intended to be exhaustive, and I'm sure there are tens
if not hundreds of other titles.

I have excluded many types of films based on my specific pedagogical purpose
in showing this film in an undergraduate film criticism and theory intro
course, such as:

films that do not focus directly on war, like Rules of the Game
documentaries
experimental films like 23rd Psalm Branch
films focused specifically on genocide
As well as, of course, films that strike me as being more classical than art
film.  Of course this distinction can be problematic.

btw I ended up showing Full Metal Jacket.

FIRST WORLD WAR
J'Accuse?
The King of Hearts?
Johnny Got His Gun?
Life and Nothing But?

SECOND WORLD WAR
Paisa
Hiroshima, mon amour
My Name Is Ivan
Wajda's war trilogy?
Castle Keep
Catch 22
Night of the Shooting Stars?
Come and See
The Thin Red Line

OTHER U.S. FILMS
MASH
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
The Mad Songs of Fernanda Hussein

OTHER
Arsenal
films of Miklos Jancso
Les Carabiniers
Lucia (part 1) - I believe there are other Cuban art films about war, but
not available on video that I know of
Shame
Underground
White God, Black Devil?
Before the Rain?
Welcome to Sarajevo?
Several films by Peter Watkins, but are these art films?
There are a number of Japanese anti-war films, like The Burmese Harp and
Fires on the Plain, but are these art films?

Joshua Hirsch