Well, Lang, darn it--you've corrected me on both counts.

I had not remembered the detail in Title 17, sec. 106(5) on film frames
included for their "display" value along with static art forms. As you
suggest, the case for grabs has to be made on section 107 fair use factors,
without the benefit of a frame grab being considered less than the whole of
a work within a work, so to speak. Since by this provision, a film frame is
essentially granted the copyrightable status of an individual work. (You
know already I think this is intellectually lame, and on top of that
promoted into law by commercial interests related to the existing market
for  individual images, rather than by justification through the nature of
the larger work. In short, the provision complicates some fair use defenses
more than they ought to be--at least to these eyes.)

On the situation of GWTW's copyright, I'm pretty sure I had read last year
a "there but for the grace of Bono goes its protection" remark in a
commentary article about the Randall case--but hadn't actually checked any
math myself when the observation came suddenly to mind and I passed it on.
(I thinks the reasoning of the case decision as it stands is sensible
though.) Just this past weekend I had occasion to review section 304 on the
duration of copyrights... and I must say, I prefer the boiled-down chart of
copyright coverage complications provided by Lolly Gasaway at:
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm.

Thanks for keeping me straight (though still annoyed at the law),

Jeff

--On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:00 AM -0600 Automatic digest processor