You may find some ideas in the film syllabi included on ScreenSite:

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite/teach/syl

There are a few there that deal specifically with US film.

Regards,

>Date:    Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:26:40 -0400
>From:    Ellene Phufas <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I will be teaching a course called American Film after having taught
>Intro to Cinema for several years.  Can anyone recommend a strategy for
>such a course?  I have always focused on the technical and directorial
>contributions of films but I would like to try a different focus, the
>relationship between US cultural history and films perhaps?
>Any suggestions would be most welcome including a recommendation for a
>text and films.
>Eleni Phufas

Jeremy Butler
The second edition of TELEVISION: CRITICAL METHODS AND
APPLICATIONS is now available. More info at:

http://www.TVCrit.com

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite