Ben Halligan requests:

> i'm compiling an index of online resources for film and TV suitable for
> undergrad study

Here are some I have bookmarked:

> journals / magazines, such as
>
> www.sensesofcinema.com
> www.ce-review.org/kinoeye/archive_intro.html
> www.latrobe.edu.au/www/screeningthepast/
> www.nottingham.ac.uk/film/journal/index.htm

http://www.filmgeschichte.de/
A newsletter of the website for early German film

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/
Sight and Sound

http://www.filmlinc.com/fcm/fcm.htm
Film Comment--for subscription info, plus
online archive

> and databases / info sites, such as
>
> www.imdb.com
> www.bbfc.co.uk
> www.melonfarmers.co.uk

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Africanfilm.html
Website on African cinema, at UC-Berkeley

http://www.newsreel.org/topic.htm
Detailed descriptions of films from California
Newsreel, including the Library of African Cinema

http://www.fespaco.bf/
Official webpage of the bienniel African film
festival in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso

http://nyctourist.com/ammi.htm
Website of the American Museum of the Moving Image in
New York

http://www.indiana.edu/~bfca/index.html
Black Film Center/Archive

http://www.eastman.org/
George Eastman House, Rochester, NY

http://www.bfi.org.uk/momi/
British Museum of the Moving Image (lots of links)

http://lcweb.loc.gov/film/
National Film Preservation Board (lots of links)

http://www.afionline.org/
American Film Institute

http://www.cinema-sites.com/
Huge database of film-related sites

http://www.hfac.uh.edu/cogsci/index.html
Cognitive Science, Humanities, and the Arts

http://www.skinema.com/
Dermatology in the Cinema (I am not making this up!
Not for the faint of stomach.)

http://www.learner.org/exhibits/cinema/
Cineam: How are Hollywood films made? (Interactive
guide to filmmaking from the Annenberg Foundation)

http://www.grand-illusions.com/index.htm
Deals with optical illusions, etc., including a good
dicussion of "persistence of vision"

http://www.brandeis.edu/jewishfilm/
National Center for Jewish Film

http://www.kinexis.com/movies.html
The Self-Referential Movies List (hasn't been active
for a while, but has good discussions and references)

http://www.silentera.com/
Good site for silent film resources

http://www.cinemastudies.org/
Official home page for the Society for Cinema Studies

http://www.precinemahistory.net
"The Complete History of the Discovery of
Cinematography"

http://www.variety.com/
VARIETY's home page, includes link to slang dictionary

http://www.rottentomatoes.com
A quick resource for reviews of current films.  Samplings of online
critics rate films on a "tomatometer" from "fresh" to "rotten"

Don Larsson