Scott is referring to an inexpensive DVD player by the Chinese company Apex
that was released with a secret menu (which has a warning in it saying,
"You should not be here") that allows the user to view DVDs from all
regions (not just North America) and further lets you disable the stop-copy
encoding built into many DVDs (permitting users to copy DVDs onto videotape).

The movie industry cracked down on Apex, however, forcing it to disable
that menu.  It also convinced eBay to ban it.  So you won't find any
secret-menu Apexes there.

>Date:    Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:48:51 -0500
>From:    Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
>
>You need to find an Apex with the secret loopholes menu to be able to view any
>DVD.  Try eBay, as current Apex players disable this menu.As for the
>combination player, I understand these cannot play the second layer of
>dual-layer discs, which often force you to screen the pan and scan version.
>
>Scott

Jeremy Butler