my apologies to those of you on h-film who are getting this twice:

can someone tell me when film studies became recognized as a discipline in us university curriculum? also at what point cultural studies entered the scene? dates, time frames, cites would be most appreciated.

while i'm at it, something totally different: can anyone think of melodramas (in the vein of say, the joy luck club) with primary asian characters in it from the 1980s? thanks very much!

jane