According to Katharina Kubrick Hobbs (Kubrick's step-daughter) he had a massive heart attack. There were no previous signs that trouble was ahead. He died in his sleep.
.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:37:38 -0500
Sender:       Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Darryl Wiggers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Katharina Kubrick Hobbs

As a follow-up to the recent Kubrick query, and an earlier one regarding
the Hindu chant music on EWS, here are Katarina's original answers to these
questions from alt.movies.kubrick (and in case you doubt the source, the
official Eyes Wide Shut website has a link to the web site of his wife,
Christiane -- http://eyeswideshut.warnerbros.com/ck/ck.htm -- and it
specifically states "This is to confirm that Katharina Kubrick Hobbs is a
regular reader of and occasional contributor to alt.movies.kubrick")