Sorry for the truncated message!

Shari Rosenblum objects:

> It seems to me that whether an artist fails or succeeds within his
> chosen parameters should be something each viewer be allowed
> to assess for himself -- whether or not the elite and the trained
> believe him capable of doing so. Anything else, I submit, is a
> betrayal of the artists' craft.

Film is not unique, but it certainly is highly susceptible to
post-facto manipulation by others.  The comments on this thread echo
points in earlier debates about colorization--and even dubbing vs.
subtitling.  Unfortunately, in cinema there are all too many
opportunities for betrayal.

Don Larsson

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite