The only film that I can think of with authentic aspect-ratio chnages is
Douglas Trumbull's "Brainscan". In it's original release, the "brainscan"
sequences were in 70mm while the narrative proper was in 35mm. My memory is
foggy on this but I think the 70mm was in 'scope while the remainder of the
film was 1.85..At any rate, this must have been a nightmare for
projectionists....
There are other films which include varied ratios for more obvious reasons,
like "That's Entertainment", or the opening scenes of "Superman" amd "Popeye".
Two other scenes that toy with screen size in different ways but are probably
worth mentioning:
"Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" begins with Tony Randall "opening" the
frame to its approproate Cinemascope dimensions...
and finally, "Finian's Rainbow",which was reportedly released in a wider
format that it was shot, resulting in the omission of Fred Astaire's feet
during the dance numbers.....
And speaking of aspect ratio, for years I've been giving students my
standard anti-letterboxing lecture, but I'm wondering if anyone can offer
fresh examples of how an altered aspect ratio damages or changes film
content, perspective, etc....
R. Hunt