| Following on from Darryl Wiggers' post on Kubrick and widescreen, would I
| be right in thinking that Hitchcock never made a film with a wider ratio
| than 1:1.85?  I can think of several VistaVision titles, but none in 'scope.

If you assume, from my argument, that because Kubrick had a preference for the 1.33:1 ratio that ALL filmmakers of his era (and before) should have felt the same way -- of course not. And I think I made it clear that even Kubrick saw the advantages of the wide-screen when he made 2001 (2.20.1 ratio) and, hence, made an exception.
.