Re: Steve Fore's query about appopriation

For what it's worth, I have two articles on how white camp authenticates
itself through appropriations of Aboriginal and African American culture and
imagery.  One focuses on The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
and the other is about Mae West's maids. They both deal with how one
subaltern group (queer culture, transgressive feminist camp culture) relies
on another subaltern culture (Aboriginal Australian and African American) to
authenticate its construction of a fluid and porous identity while treating
the racial other as fixed and essential.

The references (both under my maiden name, Robertson) are:
        "Mae West's Maids: Race, 'Authenticity,' and the Discourse of  Camp"
in        Camp: Queer Aesthetics and the Performing Subject, A Reader, ed.
Fabio         Cleto (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press and University of
Michigan Press, 1999) 393-408.

        "Home and Away: Friends of Dorothy on the Road in Oz." The Road
Movie      Book, ed. Steven Cohan and Ina Rae Hark (New York: Routledge,
1997) 271-286.

Hope this doesn't seem unduly self-aggrandizing but these seem apt for your
interests.

All the best,

Pam Robertson Wojcik