SCREEN-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Martin F Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:14:41 -0500
My thanks to everyone who responded to my call for help on a possible
plagiarism situation.  For those interested in the details of the case,
the student cited only two sources: the P. E. Salles Gomes book on Vigo
and an online review of _Zero for Conduct_ at
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Bungalow/1204/zfc.htm.  (This latter item, by
the way, is the only external-review link at the Internet Movie Database's
entry for this film.)  The student handled these sources properly; it's
the unattributed material that worries me.  The sample excerpts that I
posted the other day don't come from Salles Gomes, the online review, the
William Simon and John Smith books on Vigo, or any of the miscellaneous
French cinema books I examined in my school's library.  As a number of
respondents have suggested, it may well be impossible to track down the
sources, and I must say that I've grown weary of the whole thing.  I
haven't met with the student yet, but, when I do, I'll use a combination
of approaches suggested by Ken and others.  At this point, it's the only
sensible thing to do.  My hope is that if I speak with the student in a
non-accusatory way about the sources that he/she used, etc., it will be
clear in a matter of minutes if the paper was plagiarized or not.  Thanks
again for your thoughts.

--Marty Norden
          Martin F. Norden
  OO      Dept. of Communication, Box 34815      [log in to unmask]
  [_]<|   University of Massachusetts-Amherst    fax: 413 545-6399
  /|\     Amherst, MA  01003-4815      USA       vox: 413 545-0598, -1311
                home page: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~norden