SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
John Dougill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:45:13 +0900
How about The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler which applies Joseph
Campbell's Hero's Journey to film stories in order to emphasise the mythic
structure that underpins successful scripts.....

I've just come across the follow-up by another writer that takes the idea
further by applying it concretely to 50 top films, the aim being to set an
example of scriptwriters. I haven't got the book here unfortunately but
perhaps another poster knows the title and author - it was published this
year.

To my mind the books are more valuable in terms of analysis than as models
for scriptwriting, but they advertise themselves as aimed at scriptwriters
and Christopher Vogler claims to have trained lots of Hollywood people in
his techniques.

Regards
JD
Kyoto