SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:53:57 -0600
Mark Pizzato wonders:

> Could anyone provide a brief definition of "woman's melodrama" as opposed to
> other types of melodramatic films in the 40s (and today), including film
> noir? I've been rereading E. Ann Kaplan's MOTHERHOOD AND REPRESENTATION:
> THE MOTHER IN POPULAR CULTURE AND MELODRAMA. But as a theatre historian,
> it's difficult for me to understand why in film studies the term "melodrama"
> is so often reserved for woman's films of the 40s. Aren't Westerns and
> gangster films, as well as films noir, also melodramas--with clear-cut good
> and evil characters, and with the triumphant violence of the hero over the
> villain justified in the happy ending?
>
> Is that still the paradigm for woman's (or maternal) melodramas, although
> such films speak from a woman's position rather than a man's?

The term "melodrama" is indeed problematic and is frequently used in
film criticism alone in rather different ways to describe rather
different objects. Thomas Elsaesser discusses some of the historical
context of the term in "Tales of Sound and Fury: Observations of the
Family Melodrama" (in Barry Keith Grant, FILM GENRE READER II) but even
then uses the term for a group of films rather broader than the
"women's film" as such. Thomas Schatz in HOLLYWOOD GENRES also uses
the term rather broadly (as "family melodrama") but focuses on examples
of the 1950s, including such things as PICNIC.

Molly Haskell, in FROM REVERENCE TO RAPE, has a whole chapter on "the
women's film" (aka "tearjerkers," "weepies," et al.) Haskell moves
away from the use of "melodrama" as such and defines the "woman's film"
thematically, within four categories involving sacrifice, affliciton,
choice, or competition. These cases, it can be noted, often end
somewhat short of the kind of clear-cut characters and triumph of good
over evil described above. Andrea Walsh in WOMEN'S FILM AND FEMALE
EXPERIENCE: 1940-1950 sees "melodrama" as one of many generic subsets
within "women's film." That, I suppose, does not make the definition
of "melodrama" any easier.

That being said, I think that Haskell's definition is as good as any of
a certain historically-based type of film that involved certain
marketing techniques and certain stars (Davis, Crawford, Stanwyck,
etc.). If a western or gangster film was "melodramatic" in form, it
would still be interesting to see how popular (and industry?) usage
directed the term instead toward this specific type and how the term
evolves to or diverges from the more recent emergence of the
"chickflick" as a particular type.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato