SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Laurie Ouellette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:33:10 -0400
Linda, a few items for the research certificate (I'm not sure if this will
suffice; let me know).

* My article (co-authored with Justin Lewis) "Moving Beyond the Vast
Wasteland:  Cultural Policy and Television in the U.S.," will appear in the
debut issue of the journal Television and New Media (peer-reviewed, Sage),
February 2000. (This is not on my FASIP application).

* My Ph.D. dissertation was cited in two separate articles in the most
recent issue of Critical Studies in Mass Communication (September 1999).

* My book with Columbia U Press is moving ahead; I did new research at the
Library of Congress, the Wisconsin State Historical Society, the Minnesota
State Historical Society, and the National Public Broadcasting Archives in
Washington DC expect to have finished my revisions by the early Spring.

* Here's a quote from Pat Aufderheide, the reviewer on my book manuscript,
in the letter she sent to the press, and which the press then sent to me:

"I have been following Laurie Ouellette's work with great interest, respect
and admiration for some time.  As a journalist, as a scholar and as a
social activist, she is truly exemplary.  I imagine her moving into
leadership roles in university, media and foundation life, and playing an
important role as a public intellectual."