SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:58:46 -0500
> Hello,Can anyone help me? I am, currently, researching the work of one Antonin
Artaud and in particular two of his films: The Seashell and the >Clergyman +
>The Passion of Joan of Arc. If anybody has any useful info I would

There are a few Artaud biographies and a vast critical literature.  For "Passion" there's also plenty on Dreyer, but in either case you shouldn't have trouble locating info.  (The new DVD for "Passion" has the original film--not the more widely known version--along with commentaries and other background.)  Artaud also acted in Gance's "Napoleon" and L'Herbier's "L'Argent" along with a few lesser-known films; Mick Jagger was at one point slated to star in a biopic about Artaud.  And even if you don't read French it's worth looking up his translations of "Alice in Wonderland"; a psychologist had him do this as therapy during one of his asylum stints without realizing that Artaud hated Carroll's work.  The result (only a few chapters) is an over-the-top mix of anti-sense provocations and "mere typing."

LT