SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:25:46 -0600
Ayse Unal requests:

> I'm working on digital technologies effects (and would be effects) on cinema
> aesthetics as MA thesis. The concentration will be on non-lineer editing,
> but I'm at the very beginning of research, so any related material will be
> of great help. Is there any books, magazines, articles, film examples that
> one shouldn't miss and esp websites or anything anyone can recommend?

You might be interested in remarks comparing analogue and non-linear
editing by Walter Murch in the last chapter of his book IN THE BLINK OF
AN EYE: A PERSPECTIVE ON FILM EDITING (Los Angele: Silman-James Press,
1995). Murch is, of course, is a leading film editor who is also one
of the most notable recent sound mixers/designers. His films include
THE GODFATHER, THE CONVERSATION, APOCALYPSE NOW, AMERICAN GRAFFITI, THE
UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING, and many others.

Don Larsson