SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
laura bil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:56:31 -0800
hi - we are looking for strangers to view our feature
film and make comments, if you would like a copy of
the film "STEVE" sent to you, please email me at:

with your address details and we will send a copy in
the mail to you next week. further details of the film
are below or you can check out the website at:

www.steve-the-movie.com

best regards
laura bil.
:o)

STORY AND PROCESS

"Steve" is about four women who find themselves
without a place to live and without any money after
their friend Steve rents them the same apartment and
disappears with their rent money.

This is a dramatic feature with a sense of humour,
covering quite a healthy amount of taboo topics.

"Steve" is unique in that each of the actresses
created their character before shooting and the story
emerged from the interactions between the four
characters.

The actors worked without script, improvising for four
days straight in February 1999.

Daniel Wilson's direction came into play in the
editing stage, there was no direction during filming.
This is Daniel Wilson's second feature film.

"Steve" was shot on Hi-8 and blown up to 35mm to
heighten colour and composition, in the style of
Dogme'95 (eg. "Celebration).

"Steve" will not be everyone's cup of tea, but test
audiences gave us great feedback, saying they
appreciated and enjoyed the sense of realism, the
unique characterisations, the questions about modern
life and the lively flow of the story.

SCREENINGS:

"Steve", will be premiered at the Bloor Cinema at
Bloor and Bathurst on November 26th. Tickets are $30,
there is a party after the screening and a free bevvy.

Screenings will also be held on Saturday 27th and
Sunday 28th at 4pm at the Bloor Cinema and tickets are
only $8.

"Steve" is a privately funded film and any proceeds
from the premiere will go toward directly toward the
cost of blowing up the film to 35mm.

We are currently looking for a distributor so the
premiere is intended as a media event as well as a
public one to help find someone wanting to distribute
the film and to promote this type of alternative
filmmaking.

This type of filmmaking is available with advances in
video technology. Hopefully the future will bring on
many more projects developing the art, craft and
techniques available to filmmakers and actors. Let's
move beyond Hollywood conventions and discover what
stories can be told with new ways of working!

Success of a film like "Steve" means financing may be
more readily available in future for this type of
initiative that pushes the boundaries of what we see
on screen.

Thanks for your interest in "Steve" let me know if
you'd like at ticket to the premiere by leaving a
message at (416) 753.0280 or by calling the offices of
Realisation Films at (416) 204.1320.

Or please visit the web site at:
"www.steve-the-movie.com"

=====