SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:28:18 -0400
Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A colleague asked if I knew of a good introductory textbook on writingabout film for a comp course she teaches.  The students are not film
>majors.  Can anyone recommend one?

Probably the best introductory book is the Bordwell & Thompson "Film Art."  That will give the fundamentals of how film works and how it differs from or relates to other artforms.  As for actually writing about it, the principles are the same as for any other critical writing.  I've seen some books specifically about writing on film but they're pretty useless.