SCREEN-L Archives

September 1999, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:44:29 -0500
D. Olson recommends:

> One film which may be of interest to you is "The Warriors", 1979, directed
> by Walter Hill. This film's use of black radio announcers, not to mention
> the camera's extreme close-up of the black 'female' announcers mouth, may
> fit in nicely with the nondiegetic use of race.

Another recent film tha comes to mind is Baz Luhrman's WILLIAM
SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO + JULIET, with a mostly-white cast.

I am not sure if it quite fits Krin's request, but Spike Lee's use of
music is always interesting and the focus on an Italian-American
community in SUMMER OF SAM might be worth attention too.

Don Larsson