SCREEN-L Archives

September 1999, Week 1

From:
wen minkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:56:46 -0700
Hi all,

I didn't realize the panel was on both race and sexuality. Here's the
updated info (including the official blurb).

Wen
BULLETIN BOARD PROPOSALS SCS 2000 CONFERENCE

The following panels and workshops are being developed for the March 9-12,
2000 conference in Chicago.

http://www.cinemastudies.org.

DISCOURSES OF RACE AND SEXUALITY IN RECENT FILM NOIR
The 1990s have witnessed a renaissance of American film noir that
complicates our understanding of the genre. This panel seeks papers that
address how representations of race and sexuality in recent film noir
challenge or replicate the tropes of classic black and white film noir or
film noir of the more recent past (i.e., the 1970s). In particular, how do
these representations of race and sexuality mediate and critique a
nostalgia for the genre? How does the construction of violence in noir also
rely upon specific kinds of racial or sexual identities? Margaret DeRosia,
History of Consciousness Dept., University of California, Santa Cruz, CA,
95604. ph. 510-835-5302.