SCREEN-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
James Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:16:21 -0700
The complete program for the 1999 Visible Evidence Conference is now
available on the web at www.cinema.ucla.edu/visible.

This year's conference features presentations and panels with an
international group of scholars, filmmakers and even lawyers along with a
number of free public events.  In addition to the conference program, our
web-site contains the full program for our  "Documentary Videotheque" which
will include four hours of free screenings each day of the conference.

For those of you who will be in the Los Angeles Area, there will be three
evening programs:
 "Permeable Lines" a panel discussion featuring Penelope Spheeris, Haskell
Wexler, and Edward James Olmos.
"Permeable Lines" will continue the theme of our Keynote address from the
perspective of three successful Hollywood filmmakers active in both
documentary and fiction film.  Drawing upon their experiences in both
modes of filmmaking, panelists will discuss how documentary and reality
based stories influence fiction film, and similarly how the structure and
aesthetics of fiction inform documentary production.

On Wednesday night we will screen EKLEIPSIS (1998) by Tran T. Kim-Trang, THE
FALL OF COMMUNISM... (1998) by William E. Jones, and RUINS (1999) by Jesse
Lerner.  William E. Jones and Tran T. Kim-Trang are schedule to attend the
screening and discuss their films following the program.

Thursday August 19th will feature an evening with Marina Goldovskaya
moderated by Robert Rosen, Dean of the School of Theater Film and
Television.  Ms. Goldovskaya will screen her 1993 award winning film THE
HOUSE ON ARBAT STREET along with clips from several of her other films as
she discusses the evolution of her documentaries on Russia.

All of the evening programs are free and open to the public. In order to
attend the daily conference panels you need to visit our web-site for
registration information.

Please visit our web site www.cinema.ucla.edu/visible  for more information
on the Documentary Videotheque and the conference program.  I look forward
to seeing many of you at this years Visible Evidence Conference.

James Friedman
Conference Coordinator

--
James Friedman
Manager, Archive Research and Study Center

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite