SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Veleka Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 20:32:13 -0500
What continues to puzzle me is why on every list I've joined there are
people who tell other people what they are allowed to post. I can't
help but wonder if these folk do the same in their offline lives.

Here's a signature I once saw that I think addresses this issue.
Doesn't explain anything, unfortunately, but it does describe it:

"Whenever A annoys or injures B on the pretext of saving or improving X,
A is a scoundrel."
 — H. L. Mencken

And as for the possible effects of repression, I like this one:

"Our doubts are traitors and makes us lose the good we oft might win by
fearing to attempt." --Lucio, Act 1, Scene 4, "Measure for Measure"

While I myself have no idea why anyone would *want* to discuss Liz'
looks, I am firmly on the side of self-expression... even if it is Greek
to me. And since I've discovered the Delete button, I've managed to
avoid any and all posts that annoy me. I recommend it.

Veleka Gray