SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 1

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 17:34:12 -0400
Radio, of course, was the mass medium before the advent of television, and
was therefore much sought after by performers - singers, comedians, actors,
and also it was hugely popular for sports broadcasts. Radio figured in
myriad films, very often as background or theme music, and was featured
extensively during the second world war as an essential means of
communication, particularly from occupied countries (eg: 13, Rue Madeleine
1946, dir: Henry Hathaway, and O.S.S. 1946, dir: Irving Pichel) These are
American movies, supposedly taking place in France.  You may want to look
at Renoir's La Grande Allusion, in case the radio was used during the
prison camp scenes.
During the thirties Paramount Studios turned out a series of  musical
comedies with a loose radio background, usually as an excuse to parade
their contract performers - The Big Broadcast (1932): The Big Broadcast of
1936: The Big Broadcast of 1937: The Big Broadcast of 1938. Hitchcock's
Foreign Correspondent (1940) ends with Joel McCrea broadcasting a warning
to the world of Germany's intentions. The Next Voice You Hear 1950, dir:
William Wellman, deals with the impact on the population while waiting for
God's voice to be heard on the radio. While Woody Allen's Radio Days was
made in 1987, out of your time period, it's a nostalgic comedy of radio's
halcyon days in the forties.  While these are American movies, they may be
useful comparisons to radio in French films. How about Orson Welles' 1938
radio broadcast of H.G.Wells' The War Of The Worlds? That was supposed to
have frightened segments of the US due to its reality. There was a TV drama
made of this some years ago.  Good luck with your search.