SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:22:58 -0500
Chris Perrius requests:

> Could any one recommend films for a campus film series highlighting upward
> mobility narratives, especially those in which a working-class character
> attends college (e.g., Good Will Hunting, Educating Rita)? We're looking
> for films about "scholarship boys" and girls, literacy acquisition, moving
> to the metropolitan center, that treat personal and cultural conflicts
> arising through upward mobility in interesting ways.

Jane Campion's ANGEL AT MY TABLE, about New Zealand writer Janet Frame,
deals with a number of issues, but the cultural context is an important
one.

Annabella Sciorra in MR. WONDERFUL

SATURDAY'S HERO deals with the timely (in Minnesota!) issue of college
and athletics

Although it's a prep school and not a college, SCHOOL TIES deals with
similar issues.

The second film in Ray's Apu trilogy, APARJITO

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato