SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 23:49:08 -0400
At 04:04 PM 4/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Are you sure about it being redubbed?  I don't think it was.  One scene
>had subtitles, though.

This was mentioned in several articles at the time of release; further info
can be found at the IMDB.  Since the programmers at Bravo (Canada) say
there was only a North American version then this means that the film seen
in Canada was also redubbed (unless somebody can offer solid evidence
against this).

And for whatever amusement it's worth:  The film was cut by a few seconds
(two according to the IMDB though I seem to remember 7 or 8 from another
source) for the US; in England it was shown in theatres uncut but had 14
seconds trimmed for the video release.  The DVD in both countries has
deleted scenes as extras.  Ain't censorship wacky?
Lang Thompson
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/wlt4

World Cinema Review
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/wlt4/wcr.htm

"The heavy bullets sounded like howitzers in
the dry, airless late-afternoon air."
from Michael Avallone's The Patridge Family