SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 01:38:33 -0500
This is from the H-War military history list and is forwarded with the
writer's permission.  LT

>Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:17:16 PST
>From: "Christine Langille" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I read in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, in an article entitled, "Message in a
>Battle," (dated July 24th, 1998) that a New Hampshire war memorial inspired
>Robert Rodat to write the "Saving Private Ryan" Screenplay (pg32).  The
>memorial was reported to be in the small NH village of Putney Corners. But
>Putney Corners DOES NOT EXIST!! The only thing close is a Putney Hill in
>Hopkinton, NH or Putney, VT. I have talked to the NH State Historic
>Preservation Office, The NH State Library, and the NH State Veterans
>Council, just to name a few. Nobody that I've talked to here in NH has
>heard of Putney Corners or of this memorial.
>
>The memorial was described, in the article, as "...a monument to men who
>died in conflicts from the American Revolution to the Vietnam War."(pg
>32)The memorial in Hopkinton, NH has the names of the men from the town who
>died in conflicts from the Revolution to the Spanish-American War.
>
>I have already e-mailed my query to the editors of Entertainment Weekly,
>but if anyone knows where Rodat's monument is located, please let me know.
>I am working on my Master's Thesis in American Studies, the topic of which
>is war memorials.  I am arguing that war memorials are reflections of
>public grief that both influence and illustrate the complexities of
>American culture. The memorial that inspired Rodat will help illustrate one
>of the ways in which war memorials can have an impact on the culture.
>
>-Christine Langille
>Graduate student American Studies (University of Wyoming)
>currently living in Concord, NH.

Lang Thompson
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/wlt4

World Cinema Review
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/wlt4/wcr.htm

"The heavy bullets sounded like howitzers in
the dry, airless late-afternoon air."
from Michael Avallone's The Patridge Family