SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:32:18 -0500
I have now seen four of the five nominees for Best Picture, and plan to
see _The Thin Red Line_ tomorrow night.  This will be the first time I'll
have seen all five before the awards, let alone after.  Personally, I am
rather amazed at how many times _La Vita E Bella_ has been called
overrated in this listserv, especially when nothing of the kind has been
said of _Shakespeare in Love_, which I found extremely overrated.  The
story of that film was really stale, enlivened by good writing, acting,
costume design, and music, but the plot was still dead tired, and here it
is nominated for more Academy Awards than any other picture this year.  I
thought Geoffrey Rush was much more memorable in _Elizabeth_ (although,
take into account that I only saw it last night, with maybe half a dozen
other people in the theatre) than in _Shakespeare in Love_.  Anbyway,
excluding _The Thin Red Line_ for the time being, my own personal ranking
for the nominees are (with one and two so close they are difficult to
rank):

1. La Vita E Bella
2. Elizabeth
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Shakespeare in Love

I must say though, that I thought all were reasonably good films, and this
year all of the nominees were things I had been interested in seeing
before they ever got nominated, which does not happen (with me) very
often.  That may have to do with the fact that I'm one of the youngest
people on the list and my tastes have changed a great deal since I started
college.

Scott
Scott Andrew Hutchins
http://php.iupui.edu/~sahutchi
Oz, Monsters, Kamillions, and More!

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."--Noam Chomsky

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite