SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 1

From:
Martin F Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 19:20:38 -0500
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Donald Larsson wrote:

> That was my thought, as well, related to the hearing aid worn by
> Truffaut's character. I could be quite wrong, but I tend to assume
> that the motif of deafness was most likely contributed by Truffaut. It
> also bears on his Dr. Itard character in THE WILD CHILD. I wonder if
> anyone knows why deafness was of such interest to Truffaut.

According to Annette Insdorf's book, Truffaut suffered hearing loss in one
ear during his youth and in the other during his service in the French
artillery. In this regard (and many others, no doubt), he is very similar
to his character, the director Ferrand, in _Day for Night_. One
difference, though, is that Ferrand wears a hearing aid whereas Truffaut
never did in public.

--Marty Norden
          Martin F. Norden
  OO Dept. of Communication, Box 34815 [log in to unmask]
  [_]<| University of Massachusetts-Amherst fax: 413 545-6399
  /|\ Amherst, MA 01003-4815 USA vox: 413 545-0598, 545-1311
                home page: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~norden