SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:32:09 -0600
Boris Vidovic requests:

> Matti Salo, a friend of mine who is not on the list, is writing a paper on
> the subject of paranoia and conspiracy on film. He is looking for
> suggestions and material concerning the subject: films, studies, articles,
> books. He is quite well informed when it comes to the american paranoia
> films of the 70s, or shooting of JFK (one of the subjects he has been
> following since it actually happened), but would like to deepen his
> knowledge with titles which have not been cited and analyzed so often . All
> sugestions are welcome, on or off the list. You can mail them directly to
> him <[log in to unmask]>, or to me <[log in to unmask]>.

There are several books on films of the 1950s, including Dana Polan's
POWER AND PARANOIA and Peter Biskind's SEEING IS BELIEVING that might
be relevant, as well as a number of books and articles about film noir
in general.

Some other films that might be of interest include:

Louis Feuillade's serial LES VAMPIRES (about thieves, not the Undead),
as well as various American film serials and their like (Fu Manchu,
GENE AUTRY AND THE PHANTOM EMPIRE, etc.); other Victorian-inspired
melodramas, such as THE MOONSTONE and its various rip-offs, including
GUNGA DIN and THE COBRA WOMAN

A number of horror films, from THE 7TH VICTIM to the various versions
of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS to ROSEMARY'S BABY to THE HOWLING and
beyond

Welles' MR. ARKADIN and THE TRIAL; Hitchcock's THE 39 STEPS,
THE LADY VANISHES, SABOTEUR, FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, NORTH BY NORTHWEST

Historically-based narratives, from THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO and LES
MISERABLES to MAN OF IRON and MAN OF MARBLE

Most of John Frankenheimer's better films deal with this subject, in
one way or another: SECONDS, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and the recent
RONIN

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato