SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:15:52 -0600
Krin Gabbard requests:

> I'm writing about people who collect sound recordings, especially jazz records.
> I know of three very different films in which important characters collect
> records:
>
> Young Man With a Horn
> Diner
> Zebrahead

If you don't mind a documentary, be sure to include CRUMB.

Gene Hackman's Harry Caul in THE CONVERSATION has jazz records that he
plays along with--whether that qualifies him as a "collector," I'm not
sure.

The young Frenchman in ROUND MIDNIGHT is a collector and jazz fanatic
when he finds Dexter Gordon's character.

I seem to recall that the police officer in Fuller's NAKED KISS is
something of a jazz buff, as is Mike Hammer in KISS ME DEADLY.

You might also check Eastwood's disc jockey in PLAY MISTY FOR ME, De
Niro's saxophonist in NEW YORK, NEW YORK, as well as various biopics,
such as BIRD.

Don Larsson