SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
M Furniss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:58:21 -0700
On Monday I am being interviewed about the impact of the Academy
Awards on international film production and I would like to get the
opinions of others on that point to add to my own.
I am interested in finding out more about how a
nomination for an American Academy Award (for Best Foreign
Language Film, or whatever) is viewed within the film industries of
various countries. Any award is probably seen as desirable to a
filmmaker, but I'm trying to get at how the Academy Awards are viewed
in particular. In the US, of course, they are very significant and a
nomination certainly contributes to the commercial success of films
screened here. I'm wondering about the impact within the
country of a film's origin -- both for the sales of a film and the
career/reputation of a filmmaker. Does it seem like only particular
kinds of films are eligible for such a nomination? If you have any
comments, I'd love to hear them.

Maureen Furniss
Asst. Professor, Film Studies
Chapman University