SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 12:43:12 -0600
Jason Jacobs requests:

> I'm looking for examples of films or television programmes that use
> still photography as an aspect of their mise-en-scene, particularly
> those that 'energise' the photograph within the temporal continuity
> of the film (e.g. using voice-over narration). I'd also be grateful
> for reading suggestions ( I've looked at the Patrice
> Petro collection, FUGITIVE IMAGEs, and take Sontag, Bourdieu and
> Benjamin as read).
> Any suggestions - from the opening of Chinatown to La Jettee! - most
> welcome.

THE GOLD RUSH
You might want to include the tableaux staged after photos or
        paintings by Griffith in BIRTH OF A NATION
        as well as similar scenes in Keaton's OUR HOSPITALITY
        and Scorsese's THE AGE OF INNOCENCE
RAGING BULL
If you count freeze-frames, there's ALL ABOUT EVE and THE 400 BLOWS
JULES AND JIM
THE GREEN ROOM
A number of Godard's films, eg. BREATHLESS and TOUT VA BIEN
CITIZEN KANE and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS
other photos "come to life" in one or more of Frank Tashlin's films
        as well as comedy shorts, such as some Three Stooges films
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID
THE GREY FOX
LITTLE MURDERS
MASH
the photo of Mussolini in THE FRESHMAN (the Brando-Broderick one)
MADAME SOUSATZKA
KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS
the photos of Kurtz in APOCALYPSE NOW
BLOWUP
PEEPING TOM
FUNNY FACE (and other films set in the world of fashion)
TOOTSIE
computer-enhanced photos in NO WAY OUT and BLADE RUNNER
MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART
PAGE MISS GLORY is especially interesting in its implications--
        a "woman" who is a construct of photographic collage!
There's at least one wartime (WW II) short that has GI's "talking" with
        their pinup girl photos
Rossellini's GENERAL DELLA ROVERE
THE THIRD MAN
UNDER FIRE
IN COUNTRY
ULEE'S GOLD
THE DEER HUNTER
THE OFFICIAL STORY
Bergman's THE PASSION OF ANNA and PERSONA
INSOMNIA
Wajda's MAN OF IRON and MAN OF MARBLE
The scene in the developing room with the youngest daughter and her
        boyfriend in EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN
SECRETS AND LIES
THIS BOY'S LIFE
BONNIE AND CLYDE
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
SOMEWHERE IN TIME
TIME AFTER TIME
the end of THE SHINING
Hitchcock's cameos in LIFEBOAT and DIAL M FOR MURDER (and ROPE?)
HOUSE PARTY 2
SWAMP THING
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA
JUNGLE FEVER
DO THE RIGHT THING
GET ON THE BUS
THE CRYING GAME
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
WAG THE DOG
THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR
THE PARALLAX VIEW
THE CONVERSATION
1984
TWELVE MONKEYS
THE SPANISH PRISONER

On TV, the old series MY LITTLE MARGIE opened with an exhanges between
        the father and daughter "photos"
THE BOB CUMMINGS SHOW (aka LOVE THAT BOB) featured the star as a
        photographer
The constant use of crime scene photos in police/detective films,
        especially interrogations scenes as in NYPD BLUE and LAW AND
        ORDER

For readings, in addition to some usual suspects (John Berger, Barthes,
Benjamin), check Ron Burnett's CULTURES OF VISION

Don Larsson