SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:41:33 EST

<< I know being new to this publishing world there might be a reason for the
 publishers actions that I just don't understand.

 If you don't have time to respnd to thsi e-mail of course I understand,
 but if you can offer any advice it will be greatly appreciated.

It is very possible that your publisher feels this is more of a "textbook"
type of book that has an comparatively limited audience and conventional
publishers are feeling a great sense of stress over online bookstores
(successfull or not, the online bookstores convey a very real sense of
competition to conventional publishers). It may be that, despite promosies
made, the publisher does not "pencil out" a large return on book sales through
an expensive publicity campaign. This is, of course, just conjucture on my
part but it seems fiarly likely.

As far as advice, you are already doing the right thing.....push your
publications as much as possible through your own efforts. At worst, you will
have garnered at least some publicity and at best, your success could easily
encourage them to "jump on the bandwagon" and support your efforts.

Good luck!
Mike

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite