SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 5

Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:11:13 -0500
I can say for some fans of Japanese films, there is a sort of nostalgia
that makes them not want to wholly reject the dubbed versions, and the
interesting variations in duubbing (some dub tracks ar better than others
for the same film. The Toho Inernational dub track for _Destroy All
Monsters_ (the one in current video release) is incredibly boring. The
Amercian International print for US theatres, which I got on tape (very
high quality, albeit pan and scan) from a collector, is much livelier, if
artificial. The Toho International actors sound bored, and I almost fell
asleep when watching that version. There is more of a demand for
subtitled films, even by these same people, than Toho seems to have been
willing to admit, however, because sales of grey-market tapes are rampant.
(they've been transferred one generation from PAL, but come in the
original box (usually)). The copy of _Gojira_ I have has a printed cover,
not a color Xerox, which is why I think it must be grey-market, rather
than a bootleg. Would I want to sell off my copy of the onr with Burr?
Probably not, but that one's nowhere near as good...

Scott

Scott Andrew Hutchins
http://php.iupui.edu/~sahutchi
Oz, Monsters, Kamillions, and More!

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."--Noam Chomsky

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite