SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Jeff Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:19:39 -0500
Concerning LA STRADA--The Criterion version has both Italian and English.
I have found the English works best. Quinn is superb, and Masina is so
other wordly, the voice fits the Character. Oddly, the one character who
sounds odd is Basehart. The British sub titles which remain must be from a
printed script because they diverge a good deal from what Quin actually says.
At 02:02 PM 1/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>In showing my classes "foreign film" videos I always choose subtitled
>versions. However, I need some advice concerning Fellini's La Strada. As
>I understand it, the film was made with a cast speaking both Italian and
>English, e.g. Masina--Italian, Basehart--English. What about Quinn? Is he
>speaking English or Italian. The problem I face is that if Quinn is
>speaking English and the Italian version of the film is dubbing the
>Italian, and further, since Masina speaks very little throughout the film
>(her great performance being essentially mime), then the majority of the
>dialogue is in English, and it would make sense to use the dubbed-in
>English version rather than the subtitled one.
>
>I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in advance.
>
>Ron Hoffman

>----
>To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF Screen-L
>in the message. Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]

University of Alabama.