SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Sharon Knolle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:09:23 -0700
Fellini never used synch sound, so all of his films were dubbed.
It's very standard in Italian films of a certain era. I believe
that even American actors speaking English were dubbed into
Italian, and then redubbed into English. Fellini was also
famous for changing lines in the dubbing process, somtimes with
a different actor's voice, essentially, changing an actor's performance.
I don't know that this helps your particular dilemma, but I'd go with
the subtitled version. Finding a "true" sound version with Fellini
sounds like a lost cause.
Sharon Knolle

>In showing my classes "foreign film" videos I always choose subtitled
>versions.  However, I need some advice concerning Fellini's La Strada.  As
>I understand it, the film was made with a cast speaking both Italian and
>English, e.g. Masina--Italian, Basehart--English.  What about Quinn?  Is he
>speaking English or Italian.  The problem I face is that if Quinn is
>speaking English and the Italian version of the film is dubbing the
>Italian, and further, since Masina speaks very little throughout the film
>(her great performance being essentially mime), then the majority of the
>dialogue is in English, and it would make sense to use the dubbed-in
>English version rather than the subtitled one.
>
>I would appreciate any help in this matter.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Ron Hoffman

>----
>To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF Screen-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

University of Alabama.