SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:44:17 -0500
> In Rome there is a cinema that screens American films that have not been
> dubbed.... (it's mainly for homesick tourists) I went there once with an
> Italian film production assistant. She loved Mel Gibson and the film
> 'Maverick' was being screened. It was the first time that she had ever
> heard his 'real' voice..... and not that of the Italian actor who always
> dubs his roles into Italian.... she hated it. Guess it's a case of what you
> are used to ;-))

I always though Akira Kubo sounded weird when someone other than Peter
Fernandez (Speed Racer) dubbed him, even when I heard his real voice, but
I eventually got used to it as I try to get these films subtitled. That
voice he was dubbed with was quite distinctive, but is pretty cartoony,
and doesn't suggest the wide voice range he actually uses. SOmetimes he
sounds just like Fernandez, and other times he sounds very bass.

Scott

University of Alabama.