SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
"Julia C. Rice" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:15:13 +0000
>Well actually ALL Italian films are dubbed even when they're released in
>Italian since they're shot MOS (without sound).

Although this is said to be true of Fellini et al this is too big a
generalisation. From experience I know that in the past eight years some
Italian films are shot with sound, especially the lower budget ones. Sound
studios in Rome are expensive to hire so unless the film is sold on for a
foreign market (Germany or France etc.) dubbing is kept to a minimum, using
the original actors voices where ever possible. I've even known of Italian
films shot in an English version and then dubbed into Italian ....
Italian's don't seem to mind the voice and the lips being slightly out of
synch.

And in answer to a later posting from Carlo:

>The Italian version of A Fistful of Dollars loses a great
>deal without Clint Eastwood.

In Rome there is a cinema that screens American films that have not been
dubbed.... (it's mainly for homesick tourists) I went there once with an
Italian film production assistant. She loved Mel Gibson and the film
'Maverick' was being screened. It was the first time that she had ever
heard his 'real' voice..... and not that of the Italian actor who always
dubs his roles into Italian.... she hated it. Guess it's a case of what you
are used to ;-))

take care,

Julia
UK.