SCREEN-L Archives

December 1998, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:43:26 -0600
Scott Hutchins suggests:

> I belive the correct way is alphabetically by title, followed by firestor
> and year, and sometimes the cast is included.  For example:
>
> _The Quest for ______.  Dir. Scott Andrew Hutchins.  With Abdul-Khaliq
>         Murtadha, Shawn Plew, Zandra Mukes.  Blank Films, 1998.
>
> Scott
>
> On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Naomi Tirosh (by way of Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>)
>  wrote:
>
> > >  Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 08:20:36 +0200
> > >  From: Naomi Tirosh <[log in to unmask]>
> > >  Subject: Film citation
> > >
> > >  Hi,
> > >
> > >  I would like to know if there are any rules for citing a video film?

The exact type of citation is going to vary according to the style
manual being followed.  (Here in the U.S., for instance, the manuals
used most often are from the Modern Language Association, the American
Psychological Association, and the University of Chicago.)

The MLA Manual has just been revised.  You can access the section on
electronic media documentation by going from the home page at
        www.mla.org

The latest version, which deals with films online and on CD-ROM, looks
to me like an improvement over earlier citation examples for film.
However, I think that if the standards in your format aren't entirely
clear, it's useful to keep in mind the basic principles of what
citations should be for, i.e., a service to the reader.  Therefore,
when in doubt, follow the patterns for other types of citations in that
format.

I tell my students that the basic rules should be Clarity (the
citations follow a specific format so that individual entries can be
understood by anyone who knows the format's usual structure);
Completeness (the citation should provide enough information so that
the source is easy to locate); and Consistency (don't mix styles!).

Don Larsson