SCREEN-L Archives

November 1998, Week 5

From:
Vicki Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:43:42 +0100
Hi everyone.  I am currently writing a thesis on the films of Douglas Sirk.
The section that I am working on now is based largely on the screening
notes that I took during the 1997 Sirk retrospective organised by the
Ontario Cinematheque in Toronto, since I have not been able to obtain a
video copy of his 1936 film "Schlussakkord" or "Final Chord" through
regular commercial channels. Does anyone know where I can obtain a video
copy of this pivotal pre- Hollywood work (the only one of the director's
German films with a contemporary setting)? It doesn't matter to me if the
copy that you might have access to has English subtitles or not, so a
version taped from German television would suit me fine.

Any tape that I manage to obtain will be used for my private research only,
and I will gladly pay any dubbing and shipping costs involved.

Thanks for your help,

Vicki Evans
Film Studies Department
University of Otago