SCREEN-L Archives

November 1998, Week 5

From:
Deniz Gokturk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:30:37 GMT
From:          "Pam Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask],
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:58:01 GMT
Subject: Titanic Call for Papers
Priority normal

Dear All,

I wonder if you could send the Call for Papers below to friends and
colleagues you think may be interested, particularly in Europe and the US.

Pam

         University of Southampton Film and Media Programme

                             CALL FOR PAPERS

                       NIGHTS TO REMEMBER
       Memory, Modernity and the Myth of the Titanic

         An international multidisciplinary conference

                    20/21/22/23 July 2000
               University of Southampton

The Titanic is a monumental icon of the twentieth century that has
inspired, and continues to inspire, a wealth of representations across
national boundaries, and across the arts. Southampton itself is a key
location in the great ship's journey, and offers a rich source of
local history. The conference aims to link the local experience with
the global myth, bringing together scholarship in Film and Media,
Music, Art History, Cultural Studies, Literary Studies, Theatre
Studies and History on the subject of the cultural meanings of the
Titanic. We welcome papers on any aspect of the myth, but these are
some of the areas we would like to explore:

*Shared memory: the Titanic as transnational phenomenon
*History, memorabilia and mourning
*Apocalypse and survival: class, gender, ethnicity
*Technologies, history and modernity
*Music, sound and memory
*Cultural meanings of disaster
*Special effects, spectacle and narrative

Proposals (no more than 300 words please) should be sent by July 30
1999 to:
 Millennial Titanic Conference
 School of Modern Languages
 University of Southampton
 Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK

 Organising committee: Tim Bergfelder, Pam Cook, Deniz Gokturk, Mike
 Hammond, Lucy Mazdon

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite