SCREEN-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:50:56 -0500

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, JOSHI wrote:
>
> > I am showing Minh-Ha's Surname Viet Given Name Nam in my intro to film
> > class tomorrow. Bad decision, because I haven't watched the film and am
> > curious myself. I am screening it to go with my lecture on non-narrative
> > film. Can anyone help me with a brief intro to the film which would be
> > better than just screening it without any context.
> >
> > SJ

Why show a film by a director whose last name you can't decipher? :-)
*Film Art* (5th ed.) has a very useful chapter on non narrative film with
countless examples.  For my Intro. class I used the following:
        *Blow-Job*
        *Marilyn Times Five*
        *Un Chien Andalou*
        *Anemic Cinema*
        *Ballet Mechanique*
        *Meshes of the Afternoon*

        It gives students an overview through time and space (from the
1940s in the US to the 1980s in the US via France in the 1920s).  *Sur
Name* is definitely over the head of an Intro. audience....

        Gloria Monti

University of Alabama.