SCREEN-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:57:07 +0000
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 17:04:58 +1000 Kate Bowles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This prompts me to ask whether similar special conditions have been created
> for TV screenings of this or any other film in other countries?  Is it only
> _Schindler's List_ that is treated differently?

When a major football match is shown on UK commercial television, they usually
show the actual play uninterrupted (i.e. 45 minute sections), with vast
quantities of adverts during the half-time interval and at either end of the
programme. Whether this is the broadcasters' decision or a condition of their
licence to show the match I don't know.  "Schindler's List" has only ever been
shown by the BBC in this country, which does not broadcast adverts anyway
(except ones for their own programmes and services).

I was working as a projectionist in a multiplex when the film came out, and we
showed adverts and trailers as per normal, both before the start and during the
interval of those performances which had one.  One of the reels included an
advert for Israeli wine, the other an advert for Volkswagen cars, which I
thought was rather ironic.

L.
__________________________________
Leo Enticknap